A brief history of Washington County Farm Supply
Farrell’s Feed and Flour Mill, owned and operated by Otto B. Farrell, was begun in the mid 1920’s with a three story 36’ x 66’ frame building. Later, in the early 1930s, a grain elevator with three bins that had a total capacity of 6,000 bu. And a ware room 38’ x 52’ were added. Flour, cornmeal, livestock and poultry feed were manufactured under the brand name of “King of Missouri.” This mill was powered by a 37 ½ hp., one cylinder, stationary diesel engine. The mill had a flour capacity of 25 barrels of soft wheat flour per day. Flour and feed were sold throughout
At the beginning of World War II, the mill was closed down and a hatchery was begun which was in operation at the time Otto Farrell was taken suddenly with a heart attack on Dec. 20, 1943.
Otto Bertrum Farrell [inset at left] was born
He was married
In 1947, Cecil Sutton, son-in-law of Otto Farrell, began operating the mill. Flour and cornmeal were no longer made, but feeds were ground and mixed. Commercial feed, seed, fertilizer, and grain were sold. Later hardware was added. The slogan was “Everything For The Farm”. In Dec. 1972 the business was sold to Leo Dickey and Jesse Wilkinson, with Wilkinson later selling his interest to Dickey.